Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yes, I've got Placement Clearance...NO, I'm not happy now!

What kind of sick, twisted world is this where we finally get what we want and then we can't really have it after all?

What do I speak of? Ohhh, just the fact that I finally have all four check marks on my account, and was offered the chance to leave in JUNE, but I can't. I have already committed to being a bridesmaid in one of my BFF's wedding that isn't till October.

No big deal you say? Just leave in October? Ohhh, if only it were that simple. Her wedding date is 10/10/10. The LAST departure for Latin America is 10/04/10. Oh BUGGER!

I'm sad, I'm mad, I'm disappointed that now I have to wait ALL THE WAY TILL 2011! Not to mention that I'll have to redo my physical again and recieve new medical and dental clearance (LORD HELP ME!)

My friend made a heroic attempt to be understanding and told me that she wouldn't hate me if I missed the wedding and left for PC. Oh PUH-LEEZE! For one, I wouldn't want to miss her wedding, plus all of the other memorable things that go with it. Bachelorette party, bridal shower...etc. etc. etc. Two, although she really tried to convince me that she wouldn't be upset, deep down I know she'd be crushed if I chose to miss her wedding instead of just putting off my departure for a few months.

Anywho, enough of my bellyaching. I'm going to look on the bright side of things. I just got a major promotion at work. I'm going to Jamaica in July. I have a million wedding festivities to be excited about. Summer's almost here. I'm in love. I've done everything I need to for PC and now, I guess I'll have a little extra time to prepare myself and save up some money. See, I knew things weren't completely terrible! :-)

So, this may be my last update for a while. I won't find out about possible placement until the mid-late fall.

Friday, April 23, 2010

She finally emailed me! :-)

So...I finally got a bit o' action last night after constantly checking my emails day after day with no word. My Placement officer, L, requested a phone interview with moi next week! Woohoo! I figure at this point, I'm good to leave a little under 6 months from now, so I'm still eligible to recieve an invite. Obviously, I'd much rather get my invite sooner than later, so I'm staying positive that she'll find something for me quickly, and not just put my file on hold because of my new availability!

Anywho, that's my little update for now, hope all of you other aspirants are feeling the wheels of progress turn as well! ::besos::

Thursday, April 8, 2010

completely miniscule update...

I received an email from a placement assistant today requesting an updated resume. So, even though I haven't technically received my medical clearance letter yet, that is clearly PROOF that I'm indeed cleared for the next step.

Can I get a big WOOHOO from my people in PCjournalstalkerworld?? :)

Your time will come soon!

4/10/10-Update: I received the letter in question over the weekend. So I can do my dance of relief after all. I'm CLEARED, I'm CLEARED, I'm REALLY REALLY CLEARED!! lol...that's all for now. :-P

Wednesday, April 7, 2010



I got that highly anticipated checkmark next to my medical!!!

Now, I know that there is always a chance that PC will pop up with a curveball saying that I'm denied, BUTTTT, I find that possibility to be highly unlikely! LOL

So, I am perfectly happy to be jumping for joy at my desk right now, and looking forward to getting that letter in the mail, and even moreso, that PHONE CALL from a P.O.!!

sidenote: If I do, in fact, get a denial in the can find me in a corner, probably in a fetal won't be pretty.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Take THAT Dr. Crazypants!!

It's official.

I have finally sent in the last of medical paperwork in to PC! It felt so good for one, to be redeemed by the endocrinologist, who after a full inspection and ultrasound of my thyroid, agreed that I HAVE NO THYROID CONDITION. Contrary to the belief of that overzealous Dr. Crazypants who examined me at the VA hospital. I wish I could slap her around for wasting so many months of my life like this. I could have very well been serving already if it weren't for the setback she caused me by writing "ENLARGED THYROID" on my PC Medical forms!

What a jerk...

Anywho, in happier news, the PC has already taken my account out of "Inactive" status and I just faxed the forms over at like 6pm yesterday! I hope the rest of the process goes as quickly.

I still have to receive a new nomination from the placement office. I am praying that they put me in the same region, even if it's not the same program. I just have such high hopes of really honing my Spanish language skills during my service. I'll serve anywhere of course, but I'd rather not come home speaking a language that only 12 people in the US understand!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

To Love or Not To Love...when applying to the Peace Corps

So, about a month ago I gave you a quickie update. Well, I still don't know what the heck I'm doing with my life. After my status was put on hold...I didn't necessarily give UP, but I guess I just thought maybe it was a sign of some sort. Now, all I can think about is Peace Corps (just like before...) and to me, that is an even GREATER sign that this is what I'm meant to do.

The ONLY hesitation I have now stems from the fact that I am now in a relationship. All mushiness aside, I kinda KNEW this would happen. I mean, that's how life throws you curveballs just to test you. For goodness sake, I was single for like 2+ aimlessly...bored with the whole dating scene...ready to meet my Peruvian (or Ecuadoran, or Dominican, or Costa Rican...etc.) husband through the PC...HAHAHA justttttttt kidding!!

Seriously though, the idea of finding a boyfriend was definitely not on my radar. So now that I have one, I'm left trying to figure out what the heck to do with him if I do get invited for a PC post...

Granted, I'm not even medically cleared yet. But I know that I will be...hopefully lol. Still, my availability to leave won't be until after October 10, 2010, since that's one of my best friend's wedding date and I'll be a blushing bride..smaid! :-)
Problem is that by that time, if we're together still, we'll have spent a whole year building something that I'll just have to kick to the curb! I mean I'd never expect him to try and maintain a long distance (cross the seas) relationship for two years and three frikkin months!

So out of all this rambling, my dilemma is it better to end things while it's still early and save us both the heartache (even though I have no certainty that I'll even be chosen for PC?) orrrr, just suck it up, wait it out, and figure out how to cross that bridge when we get to it (even though it'll probably cause severe emotional distress? lol)

Answers? Ideas? Comments? Questions?

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Long Overdue Update!

Hello friends...

So, what's going on in my life? Well, I decided a few months ago to put my application process on hold. I still want to do Peace Corps, but the medical costs were RISING, my flex spending account was depleted, and I kept getting signs that this wasn't the right time (for personal reasons). So, upon reflection, I have once again deferred my dream. I'm preparing now to take my GREs and apply to grad school for the fall. Maybe I should look into a joint program? I don't is throwing me in all sorts of directions right now.

Thanks for the ongoing support though...I'll be in touch.